The European Healthcare Design conference, June 13-14th 2022.
JCA directors Hrafnhildur Ólafsdóttir and John Cooper, joined by NHSI/E’s Senior Estates Strategy Manager Harry Dodd presented a paper on the NHS‘s Cavell Centres at the 2022 European Healthcare Design Conference at the Royal College of Physicians in London.
The Cavell Centres are prototype designs for a new generation of Integrated Care centres planned to provide modern, high quality, flexible infrastructure to support the transformation of primary and community care services in England. The drivers for the programme are:
1. The integration of social and healthcare services
2. A greater acknowledgement of the importance of Social Determinants of Health (SDH).
3. The Net Zero Carbon agenda
4. Modern methods of construction (MMC).
Since July 2021 JCA has, in collaboration with NHSI/E, managed the second stage of this programme, where 6 pioneer Cavell Centre projects have been used to test and develop the outline brief, focussing on:
1. Flexibility and adaptability by assuming a wide spectrum of current or future activities or tenancy.
2. Optimising then standardising to enable, modular planning and MMC opportunities
4. Potential for being a catalyst for positive and healthy urban transformation
5. Community focus and outreach. Spaces with social and practical utility.
6. Inclusion of new green civic spaces